Thursday, December 13, 2012

Wet.

Today, I post about being wet. Next week I will likely post about being dry. "If I wasn't experiencing this, I'd be experiencing something else. If I wasn't doing this, I'd be doing something else. If I wasn't here, then I'd be somewhere else. So, I guess I'll just experience this, here. "
I've started several posts but just kept them in draft form, so although this may be the first time you are reading something, chances are fairly good that it isn't the first time I've written it. Drying out after all the rain of Lompoc wasn't easy. I didn't get on the road until 1:30, or maybe a little later.

The first thing I noticed when consciousness returned to me was the lack of the sound of rain drops on the top of the tent. I'll admit to a sigh of relief. After getting dressed, I opened the flap just as the sun began peeking out from behind some clouds. Such a welcome sight! I gazed upon a beautiful blue sky, indicating that the meteorologists were correct in their forecasting future events, so quickly gathered all my wet gear and found places for them to sunbathe.

After meditation, I began packing; strange how scattered my things can get when stuck in a tent for most of a whole waking cycle. My wet stuff was still damp so I turned them over and joined them in absorbing the sun's warmth. Finally, about 12:30, almost everything was dry enough to begin the loading process. I actually got on the road about 2.

I rode just 25 miles up the road and stopped for breakfast. With no idea where I was going, I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out where to go. I decided I'd ride down to a tourist destination just down the road and see if there would be a likely twisting spot. Nope, so I just kept riding on that road. It led me to the coast. About 6:30, long after dark, I pulled off 101 at Ventura, thinking I would get some coffee and charge my electronics. Instead, I found a campsite just off the ramp for just $10. I jumped on it. Got the tent up and was in bed by 8. I think the two bunnies I saw by flashlight wondered why I went to bed so early.

I woke up this morning to a sopping wet tent. Seems the dew is even more pervasive than the rain. The sun was still hiding behind the fog bank and the bunnies were nowhere to be seen. I was in a bit of a foul mood due to the thoughts I was believing about how southern California was SUPPOSED to be dry, yet both the inside and outside of the tent was soaked.

It took me about two hours to break camp because of the moisture. (That reminds me that I need to open the tent to fully dry out. Forgot about that.) when I finally got loaded, I got on the road and began looking for a place to twist. I've waited too long to update this post because I've forgotten where I stopped. I do remember that I didn't make any money beyond what it cost to eat. This I know because it has been something of a pattern for a week or so now.

No comments:

Post a Comment