Sunday, March 24, 2013

Leaving Havasu...

Ah, what a grand little town it has been! I came for a couple weeks and stayed for three months. That, alone, speaks volumes when one understands that there is no ready place to twist balloons and no place that is good for dancing, unless one doesn't mind the smoking atmosphere of the private clubs of the Eagles and the Elks lodges. Of course, one must be either a member or be signed in by a member to be welcomed. I knew nothing about such venues when I first got here.

I want to start off by thanking my sweet friend, Julie, for her presence, friendship, and partnership during the last month. She is the most skilled female dancer I have found in Havasu...or at least, the one I most connected with on the Floor. Our matched so well that all her friends seem to think that we had become a "couple" and now that I'm leaving, that we have "broke up." Not so! We did not become a couple nor did we break up. We remain great friends and I hope I will have the opportunity to come back and dance with her again...perhaps in the Fall. Today is our one month "Annamonaversary. For those who don't know, we met one month ago today and immediately became fast friends, even though we have very different personalities. She has done a great deal to make this last month, AWESOME!

Through her, I got to meet some wonderful people: Tony, a great, very interesting, older gentleman who offered to fix my motorcycle when it needed new seals on the forks. He even blessed me with a ride in his airplane! I only wish he would've taken me up on my offer to ride my bike as it would've been something I could do to enrich his life. Cathy (Kathy?), his S.O. is a very sweet, lovely woman. We didn't get to interact a great deal, due in part to the dance connection of Julie and I, but who blessed me with the gift of a spirit-bell for the motorcycle. This is a bell that goes on a bike, close to the ground, which captures "road gremlins and evil spirits" in the hollow of the bell, but the ringing of which causes them to go insane and lose their grips, thus falling off the bike and onto the roadway and so get left behind. Nancy, who I recognize as a very generous person who gave up the attention of her good friend for a month. Though we didn't have much interaction, I truly appreciate her sacrifice.

Tammy, the only couple-dance teacher I met while here was delightful, and proved to be an ongoing friend. She was the first one that I got to dance with in town and with whom I am looking forward to working and visiting with again, should the Universe lead me back to Havasu. I hope to get some of the pictures of the show we did at the assisted living place here. I had the privileged of dancing with some beautiful women in there, most who had not danced in decades. One who stood out of a wheel chair just to have a dance-what a great honor!

Dave, my host here during the last almost 2 months, deserves a special mention for his friendhsip and generosity.  I met him when I saw him on his big yellow Goldwing. I followed him and the first words I said to him was, "Hey! You're on the wrong bike!" I knew he was because his bike and my helmet colors matched. From that odd beginning, a friendship developed, even though he lives in California and only occasionally comes to Havasu. When he heard that I hadn't found a place to stay once my rented room ran out, he offered his duplex very inexpensively and later, when it turned out that I need to stay awhile longer due to issues that I think I've already written about, even offered to let me stay for free. A very interesting fellow: until just recently, a competitive horse-back shooter.

 There are many others here who have befriended me. I am truly a blessed fellow.

I was going to leave today but didn't get ready early enough so I'm packing tonight and going to head out in the morning. This gives me a chance to put out the trash and bring in the can before I leave. As it is 10 pm now and the store is closing, I guess I have to close. Until next time, dear reader...be well.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you caught us readers up with your happenings and the Universal Dance :)

    Happy trails Kai.

    ReplyDelete
  2. best wishes on your adventures with the universe...it was an honor to dance with you here in Havasu, just wish we had more time...ah but the universe smiled on me and I'm happy to be blessed with DANCE! HUGS my friend!

    ReplyDelete