Friday, March 29, 2013

Yuma

The Universe finally let me out of Laake Havasu City, but the leave-taking was bittersweet. I truly enjoyed the town. If it wasn't for the fact that it was getting so hot, and was going to be getting a lot hotter before long, I might've stayed a while longer. I went dancing with my friend, Julie, last night and made it home and in bed by 11. Got up at 7 this morning and got ready to leave, , all the time waiting for something to stop me from leaving but was out the door by 9:30. I must say that it was with a twinge of trepidation that I secured the house in such a way that I would be unable to get back in.

Getting on the road, I had 'Children' by John Miles playing on the radio. I stopped at the edge of town to gassho (bow in gratitude) to the city. I waited until I got on the far side of Parker before I let anyone in Havasu know that I left...just in case the Universe found another reason for me to stay in town. I guess it was time as nothing appeared to call me back. The ride to Yuma was uneventful, though quite pleasant. As noon approached, it became a little too hot to be comfortable to me, though I know lots of people enjoy tempuratures in the 80's. By the time I got to Yuma, it was time to find shade or air conditioning. Since I don't think there is any shade in southern Arizona at noon, the Golden Corral got my business.

So, after eating, I went to the only place in town that I had seen green grass and sat under a tree, trying to figure out what to do. I decided that it was too hot to do much of anything. So I rode downtown and parked in front of the Golden Roadrunners Ballroom and just hung out. I figured that, since I didn't have a place to stay, I would dance and then start toward Tucson, unless the Universe had other plans for me. Apparently, It did.

As it turned out, and I met a young fellow (77) who offered me a place to stay for the weekend in exchange for some dance tips. Now, not quite 2 days later, I've made enough money to replace what I've spent since leaving Havasu. Yuma has been very welcoming thus far. I'm thinking that I may become a snowbird. Seems that a dance teacher can make a fairly good living in such a place as this... And it's the end of the season! Must be pretty cool mid-season.

No comments:

Post a Comment