Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Today, no longer yesterday and not yet tomorrow.

" The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away." Gassho to the unknown author.

Woke up chilled. Bless Tom, the heater works! Having donned long johns last night before bed, I knew it was going to be chilly when I climbed out of bed in the morning. Funny thing, though, how the chilly of one moment is different than the chilly of another. Had I just come in from 30 degree weather, this temperature would be positively warm. I've been trying for years, in vain thus far, to determine just what it is about the feeling of "cold" that is so uncomfortable.

Funny how cluttered a small space can become in the space of a few days when one is living out of a backpack. My Mom instilled in me a desire for cleanliness but I never developed the organizational skills to live uncluttered. One reason, I think, for owning just what is needed. Today, I pack for the next move. I like to leave where I've been in more orderly condition than I found it so, despite that fact that the camper was clean when I arrived, I'll find some way to leave it in "improved" condition.

I wrote the last bit yesterday. I'm finding that living totally without a schedule makes it somewhat difficult to remember to write in the blog everyday. My new temporary residence has been supplied by a woman who moved out of a duplex apartment but is keeping it for use by her daughter when she gets back to town early next month. Due to some allergy I have to something in the house, though, I am camping in the yard. This is cool because I truly enjoy sleeping in my tent. I find it interesting that, though my last partner loved camping, we never actually went camping while we were together, and obviously never used this tent.

In this new space, I have internet and use of the house. Plus, there are two beautiful black bobtail cats (Onyx and Obsidian) living here. Purry and talkative, very loving. The Universe loves me, I know, because I was just saying to someone yesterday that I was going through kitty-withdrawals. The rain is hitting the top cover of the tent and rolling down. There was thunder a few moments ago that prompted a downhill race between the drops of water that, before, were out for a leisurely roll.

Last night, after I had moved in, I walked down to the local dance studio, "Studio One," to visit with Kylee, the manager. Luke, the owner, was giving an Argentine Tango lesson. Though I know just a small amount of that particular dance, he invited me to join in. So, in my stocking feet, I Tango'd. T'was fun! Gassho to you Luke and Kylee!

I am truly blessed! I already have places to stay while in Sacramento (Blessings Christina and John) and in Walnut Creek (Blessings Lalena) after that. From there, I'll be headed to Big Sur to visit with a young man who I haven't seen in over a decade. He doesn't know it yet, I don't think, but I have been using one story about an event between he and I for years to teach the folly of assuming. (And though I teach how not to do it, I still occasionally fall prey to them.)

I am going to have to buy a different pair of boot/shoes. I have my motorcycle boots and a pair of sandals as well as a pair of dance sneakers. Well, none of them are good for walking or hiking. So, even though I just bought the MC boots a couple months ago, it seems that I'll have to let them go in favor of boots that will better allow me to explore. Perhaps, when I make it to the desert areas, I'll attempt to go barefoot.

As I was coming "home" from breakfast today, I passed a jolly giant of a tree. There was a VW bug parked behind it and I was unable to see the car until I walked around the tree. I looked up in its branches and was greeted by a massive squirrel. I now know why the cats seem hungry; the squirrels could beat them up!

1 comment:

  1. i love this post.... the reflective observations of a traveller. lovely. i look forward to seeing you as well. :)

    ReplyDelete