Friday, November 9, 2012

Observations


People are funny, aren't they? I'm in this huge city and yet people have found a way to remain alone in the midst of these huge crowds. I walked around a bit this morning and passed numerous folks out and about. I'm dressed decently, recently shaved, carrying my computer and yet, only 3 out of about 40 people that I passed responded to my cheerful, "Good morning!"  Two were women my age walking along in deep conversation, but they paused in their chat long enough to say hello. The other was an older Asian woman who asked about the Utilikilt.

As I sit here in this Starbucks, I'm observing many types of human behavior. One fellow that looks very much as though he just got out of prison for murder was extremely pleasant to an employee who brought him a cold sandwich that was supposed to be hot. A lovely woman coming in didn't acknowledge the fellow that opened the door for her in any way. A heavily tattooed young woman with neon Magenta hair come in with a 11 year old girl, asking her about her day in school. Every table has at least one person with an open laptop and most, including me, have a cell phone laying on the table. Two days ago, while at a Starbucks in Sacramento, I overheard a fellow interviewing a rising star in the music business. I spoke with him for a few minutes and it turned out that he was a writer for some hip-hop magazine.

As I watch all these folks, it occurs to me again that there is no difference between them and me. It's all just a matter of degree. All have their aches and pains, their joys and heartaches. Each trying to get rid of sadness and invite more joy. Just like me. How can one not feel a sense of camaraderie with the others who are trying to live a happy life: sometime with success and many times failing. When I see an old man, stooped over from pain, I remember myself getting out of bed this morning aching, sore and bent over until the joints warmed up and I can feel compassion for him. If I see a couple arguing, this has happened many times in my past so I have stood in their shoes. Those who dress in outlandish ways, well, I've wanted to be noticed from time to time in my life.

Just had a nice, long conversation with a cab driver who looked like a boxer  about ballroom dance lessons. Turns out that he had some experiences that, through our conversation, enabled him to see in a different light.

No comments:

Post a Comment